Power outages are everything but convenient – Are you prepared for one?
You usually don’t expect a power outage before it happens. You never know when disaster may strike your home. They are frustrating and troublesome, especially when they last a while with no power in sight. Because of this, it is important to prepare for a power outage before it happens. Just a little time spent getting prepared now means that you won’t be stumbling around in the dark later on!
Here are a few tips on how you can prepare for a power outage.
Gather Emergency Supplies
Your best bet is to buy emergency supplies before the power goes out. If you wait, other homeowners may get to last supplies before you do. Here are a few things to consider for a long-term outage:
- Water – One gallon per person per day.
- Food – Non-perishable and easy-to-fix foods.
- Flashlight – It will provide light while the technicians work on fixing the power.
- Hand-crank radio – Tune to the NOAA Weather Radio Station if possible.
- Extra batteries – If any of your supplies require batteries, the last thing you want is for the batteries to die.
- First-aid kit – If anyone receives any cuts or bruises, the first-aid kit can help take care of them.
- Multi-purpose tool – There are many advantages a multi-purpose tool has that are not found in other tools.
- Cash – If the power outage takes a long time and has affected a large area, ATMs will be without power as well. Make sure you have extra cash in case you need to purchase more necessary things.
Pack an Emergency Bag
If a power outage strikes at 3 a.m., you don’t want to try to pack a bag in the dark. Do this now so that you are prepared for the future, just in case! Remember to pack personal hygiene items such as soap, shampoo, a toothbrush, and toothpaste, as well as medicines and vitamins.
Don’t Forget Your Pets
All pets, whether feathered, finned, or furry, require special care during a power outage. Keep your pets calm, warm, and fed during a power outage, and be sure to pack their own little bag beforehand so that you have toys, food, blankets, and any necessary medications ready.
The only way you can protect yourself against any accidents that happen is by knowing that you have the right home coverage. Talk to the professional team at Chambers & Company Insurance Brokers to determine the right homeowners insurance policy to suit your needs and home today.