From the brain to the body to the mood – music provides overall benefits.
Have you ever heard about that one study where researchers played music to plants? The famous research concluded that music had an effect on plant growth; that is, they grew better and faster when they are provided with musical stimulation. The same is applicable to humans, oddly enough!
Plants loved to feel the funk and rhythm of the music so much that they actually benefitted from a few tunes now and again. With humans, the music has plenty of benefits, too! Here are just a few of the health benefits of listening to music.
- Music lifts your mood – Research proves that when you listen to music you like, your brain releases dopamine, a “feel-good” neurotransmitter. Biologically, music causes listeners to feel emotions like happiness, excitement, and joy.
- Music enhances running performance – Fast or slow, whatever music is motivational to you can make you run faster. In turn, this allows you to get the most out of your workout!
- Music lowers stress and improves overall health – Listening to music that you enjoy decreases levels of the stress hormone cortisol in your body, which counteracts the effects of the chronic stress. This is an important finding since stress causes 60 percent of all our illnesses and disease.
- Music helps you sleep better – Listening to relaxing classical music for 45 minutes before turning in means that you can calm down, relax, and get a better night’s sleep.
- Music eases pain – As the legend Bob Marley once said, “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” It’s true! Multiple studies found that the therapy of music reduced pain.
- Music keeps your brain healthy in old age – Listening to or playing music in old age can help keep the brain healthy. Since listening to music is like exercising the brain, one can expect the benefits of better memory and mental sharpness as one ages. Music and a smart noggin? Win-win!
What are you waiting for? Turn on your favorite tune and start reaping the benefits of music today! As you keep your body and mind in shape, we can help keep your finances healthy. To protect your financial future, contact Chambers & Company Insurance Brokers for all of your insurance needs.