If your car’s tire blows out, here is the proper thing to do!
Safely handling a tire blowout at highway speed is a tough skill to master. If you don’t know what to do when your tire blows out, you can end up in trouble. The good news is that doing nothing is often the best thing that you can do. Even if you’re cruising down the freeway when your tire blows out and panic starts to set in, do your best to stay calm and handle the situation smoothly.
If a front tire blows out, your car will pull you to the left or right as the steering wheel starts to vibrate. If a rear tire blows out, you’ll feel the car wobbling back and forth. These are the reasons that make it necessary for you to know the proper thing to do if your car’s tire blows out:
Here is what you should do if your car’s tire blows out while driving
- Keep a firm grip on the wheel.
- Don’t brake. Braking may cause you to skid and lose control of the vehicle. While you’re trying to regain control of the car, try to maintain your speed. Steer left or right to stay in your lane, and take your foot off the accelerator to slow down slowly.
- Pullover to the side of the road. Put your indicator on and move across traffic to a safe spot on the side of the road. Once you reach 20 miles per hour or under, you can tap the brakes to come to a stop.
- Once you’ve stopped, apply your parking brake.
- Turn on your emergency lights. Lights alert others that your car is disabled so that they slow down and move around you.
- Put on your spare tire or call your Roadside Assistance service.
Now that you know what to do if your car’s tire blows out, do you know how to prevent the same? Your tires are more likely to blow out if they have a lot of miles on them. It’s wise to check your tires for wear before a road trip and to double-check that they aren’t underinflated. Most blowouts happen when driving on underinflated tires at high speeds. Checking your tire pressure once a month could prevent this disaster!
When accidents happen, you’ll be glad that you took the time to secure the right auto insurance. Get started on your tailored policy from the insurance professionals at Chambers & Company Insurance Brokers. We are there to secure the right auto policy and guide you through the claims process.