Lather up on these tips to keep summer sunburn at bay!
Summer is the perfect opportunity to hit the beach, go on a hike, and enjoy the sunshine with friends and family. Before you lie out poolside, you’ll want to make sure that your skin is primed and ready for sunlight exposure – especially from the Californian sun! To help, we’ve put together a few safety tips for the summer.
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States – but you can take steps to minimize your risk. Take a few minutes to review these tips before heading out into the summer sun, then go out and have fun!
Summer sun safety:
- Stay in the shade when possible, especially during the midday hours when the sun is at its strongest.
- Wear hats with wide brims to shield your face, ears, and neck.
- Wear sunglasses with protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Drink plenty of water to compensate from sweating in the heat.
- Select clothes made with a tight weave as they protect better than clothes with a loose weave.
- Wear sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher).
- If you do burn, stay in the shade or indoors and generously apply aloe vera gel!
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside.
- Apply liberally and smooth it into your skin for maximum protection.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Children and babies should use a higher SPF.
- Sunscreen loses its effectiveness over time, so discard bottles after 1-2 years.
- Reapply every two hours, or after getting wet or sweating heavily.
From Chambers & Company Insurance Brokers, we hope that these safety tips for the summer help you enjoy the season burn-free! For all of your insurance needs, don’t forget to give us a call to get started.