From March 6th to March 13th, The National Sleep Foundation launched Sleep Awareness Week 2016. This annual event aimed to encourage the public to prioritize sleep to improve their overall health and well-being. With many healthcare professionals and community members encouraging effective and efficient sleep, many have been catching up on proper rest. If you missed Sleep Awareness Week, it’s not too late to catch up on sleep!
Sleep is an essential factor in leading a healthy and productive life. Lack of sleep or suffering from sleep disorders (such as sleep apnea) can be a detriment to our day-to-day lives as well as our overall health.
With such a busy lifestyle in California, it can be easy to sacrifice sleep to catch up on your work, studying, and social life. To sleep your way to better health and happiness, use these tips!
- Start the week by making time for the sleep your mind and body needs! Most adults need 7 to 9 hours to function at their best.
- Leave at least 2 hours between eating a meal and going to bed to reap the maximum benefits of a good night’s sleep.
- Turn off your phone, tablet, and TV at least an hour before going to sleep. The light from the screen is a ‘wake up’ note to your brain and can disrupt your ability to sleep.
- Make your bedroom a relaxing place in which you don’t watch TV, study, or eat. This aids the psychological effect of ‘going to bed’ and ‘going to sleep’.
- Make deep breathing, stretches, and other relaxing exercises part of your pre-slumber rituals to wind down.
- Keep a piece of paper by your bed and write down any worries of the day before putting your head down to sleep. You’ll sleep better and worry less!
- Remember to account for Daylight Saving Time! Spring forward towards better sleep and health.
From the insurance professionals at Chambers & Company Insurance Brokers in California, we hope that you actively work to improve your sleep. For all of your insurance needs so you can rest easy, contact us today!